1. Aim for 5 to 6 days of practice EVERY week. Consistency is key, even if it is only for 15 minutes!
2. Whatever you do, make sure you practice right after your lesson AND the day following - retention will be 90%!
3. When practicing, aim for 3 times in a row flawlesslessly. For longer and more challenging pieces, be sure you are practicing in small sections. A fun way to do this is through the “penny game” or using candy… ask your teacher how!
4. Have fun - look at practicing as an opportunity! Who knows, maybe you’ll get out of doing the dishes if you practice after dinner….
5. Don’t set a timer - aim for purposeful repetitions rather than time.
Our three favorite books for parents who would like some advice on getting the most out of their music lessons.
Online articles on practicing:
Centre for Musical Minds
8000 Preston Road
Frisco, Texas 75034